THE HIBBERD | South Bend
Built in 1926, the Hibberd Building located at 321 S. Main Street was once home of the Hibberd Printing Company. Renovation of this three-story, 25,000-square-foot building was an extensive project. Starting with completely reducing the building to only the concrete pillar superstructure.
Designed by EPOCH ARCHITECTURE + PLANNING, this contemporary updated building has a rooftop terrace and is comprised of office and retail shopping space on the ground level. There are 14 apartments on the top two levels with sizes ranging from studio to two bedroom.
Historical information c/o Kathleen Neal
Charles B. Hibberd founded Hibberd Printing Company in a small building in the 100 block of North Main Street.
That original Main Street location was destroyed by an 1892 fire, forcing a move to 129 North Michigan St., near where Vegetable Buddies is located today.
Upon Charles’ death in 1901, management of the company was transferred to his elder brother John A. Hibberd. John was a practicing attorney in South Bend and a prominent leader, holding positions in the Indian State Senate, Citizens Loan, Trust & Savings Co., and First Presbyterian Church. among others.
John led the Hibberd Printing Company to significant growth, printing newspapers, city directories, advertising brochures, and eventually expanding the bookbinding business to include book publishing. To accommodate the growing business, John oversaw the construction of the new Hibberd printing plant in 1926 at 321 South Main Street. John retired from the printing business in 1931, at the age of 76, and transferred ownership and management to his nephew, Charles’ son, Carl L. Hibberd, Sr. who was already active in the family business
Carl L. Hibberd, Sr. managed the printing company until shortly before his death in 1968 at the age of 79. Like his uncle John, Carl was active in the South Bend community beyond the printing business, holding positions in the Chamber of Commerce, Rotary Club, Scottish Rite, Izaak Walton League, and Fidelity Investment Co. among others.
After Carl Sr.’s death, the Hibberd Printing Co. was eventually sold to Sommers Graphics who would operate out of the South Main Street location for several decades.